Sunday, August 7, 2011

If Life is a book, this was a Chapter.

As some of you may already know, my time here in Hawaii is coming to  an end. At least this particular trip anyway. It's strange to think I  have been here for 3 months now, and stranger how quickly it has went  by. My untimely arrival came just weeks after my friend Devin Graham asked if I could edit a documentary film he was working on, telling the story of a local photographer Jon Mozo  who was killed while photographing waves in the ocean. Little did I  know how much of a positive effect taking this job would have on me.

The  life of Jon Mozo is one that is without a doubt worth sharing. As I  learned more about his life I began to realize how much love and  kindness he showed to all of those around him. Not only that but here we  are 6 years after his death and yet he is still impacting people that  he never even knew. People like me. I feel like I have learned from Jon.  Almost as if I knew him. The things I have learned from how he lived  his life will have a wonderful impact on mine for years to come. I could  easily write thousands of words about his life, but I would not do him  justice. I do know that Devin has worked very hard acquiring many  interviews and lots of footage, and I will work hard editing the story  together in hopes that it will give even a glimpse of the incredible  life Jon Mozo lived.

I have been blessed to spend time  with his wonderful family. His wife Nikki, brother Carlos and his four  children are bright extensions of Jon. They have been so kind to me from  the first day I arrived. I am lucky to have had the opportunity to get  to know this family. Although I am leaving now, I know that I will be  back. Not just because I want to see this beautiful island again, but  because I know I will miss the Mozo family, and look forward to spending  time with them again in the future.

The most  important part of life is the people we share it with. Everything else  is simply for survival. The money we make, the possessions we own, that  status we acquire really means nothing in the end. Our journey from  birth to death is all about who we experience it with. Choose wisely and  keep an open mind, because we only get one shot.

I am  excited to return home and see my family again. They have been so much  help and offered a tremendous amount of support, not just during this  experience but my entire life. I'm lucky to have such amazing parents  who have always been incredible examples, teaching me to be a hard  working, loving human being. Also, a Brother who toughened me up as a  kid, and has become a great friend during the transition to adulthood.  I've always been lucky to be surrounded by such good friends. Friends  willing to reach out and help me in times of need, friends who I can  only hope to emulate one day. I can't possibly say enough about them.

So  as the final words are written in this chapter I can't help but be  excited for what comes next. Thanks to everyone who has followed along  as I have blogged my experience here in Hawaii. I want you all to know  that I am going to continue posting articles on another blog called "Taste Of Jace".  I have a lot of cool things around the corner so if you have enjoyed  following this, then I suggest you follow that one as well!

Here  is a video that sort of summarizes my time here. It is a mix of video  and photography. Thanks again everyone, and I hope you have enjoyed  following along!


Hawaii 2011 from (LTAV) Jace LeRoy on Vimeo.

7 comments:

  1. Jace, I'm so grateful for people like you who are able to put words and images together in a way that expresses love and passion the way I feel it.
    It has been so fun and inspiring following your journey to a place and the people that hold such a tight grip on my heart.
    Thank you for your documentation and your shared passion and love for the Mozos and the island they reside on. That family has done more for me than they will ever know. Thank you Jon for leaving your legacy. And thank you Jace for being apart of sharing it.
    Sarah Davis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. You really do amazing work. Can't wait to see what the next adventure is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! So what is the next adventure? Do you have a job doing videography in Utah? You are very talented!
    Cyrena

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a life changing experience you have had! Thank you for allowing us a to take small glimpse into your amazing world! We have been able to see and feel your passion through your photographs, videos, and your words! That is one thing that I truley love about being behind a camera....I am by no means a pro....but there is a beauty that can be found through a lense that can not be put into words. I love when you look at a photograph and they speak & fill you emotion. Sometimes they even answer life's questions. On multiple occasions I have found chills running down my arms taking in what you have posted! And somedays.....I have read or seen just what I have needed! Your work speaks volumes....you are going to bless so many lives with your talent! You have such a way with words and such an amazing eye. I can't wait to see where life takes you from here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been a pleasure to follow your adventures. I have learned so much from your experiences, and have been touched by your insights and faith about life. Thanks!

    Cammie

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing. We truly appreciate all the help that you have given Devin. You have to be good at what you do or Devin would not have had you help him. Great job! Interested to see where your journey takes you. Thanks again for the amazing work you do.

    ReplyDelete